The Landscape of Microinsurance in Africa 2015
The MicroInsurance Centre recently conducted its 3rd regional landscape study of microinsurance in Africa. Published by the Microinsurance Network and the Munich Re Foundation as part of the World Map of Microinsurance Programme, this latest study reports on the latest activities and current state of microinsurance in the region as of December 2014. In an effort to share and disseminate these findings with all industry stakeholders, we invite you to access a variety of materials below.
The Landscape of Microinsurance in Africa 2015 (full report, English)
The Landscape of Microinsurance in Africa 2015 (preliminary briefing note, English)
Le paysage de la micro-assurance Afrique 2015 (fiche de synthèse préliminaire, français)
Previous Landscape Reports
Previous landscape study reports have been published for Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia and Oceania. Click here to access and download these files.
The World Map of Microinsurance is an interactive map presenting key microinsurance data as collected by all landscape studies in Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia and Oceania. The map displays microinsurance coverage ratios (% of the total population covered by Microinsurance) for each country and additional data on lives covered and premiums can be downloaded. Country profiles are also available in pdf format for more detailed market information. Click here to start accessing valuable data!
Expert Forum Series
Module 1: Microinsurance in Africa and Product Evolution (3 March, 2016)
Module 2: The Business Case for Microinsurance in Africa (24 March, 2016)
What does "microinsurance" mean in the context of the Landscape of Microinsurance in Africa 2015? Click here to view the definition used for this study.
Who should use the information from the study?
The primary goal of this most recent landscape study and those preceding it is to be a tool for microinsurance industry stakeholders, especially insurers. Below is an infographic depicting potential beneficiaries of this information.
In the News and other Publications
- As Microinsurance Penetrates Africa Reinsurance Capacity Need Will Grow, Seeking Alpha, July 2016
- The Growth of Micro-Insurance: Expanding Financial Inclusion, FSD Africa, June 2016
- The State of Microinsurance 2016, "Benchmarking in Microinsurance"(pp. 13-18), Microinsurance Network, June 2016
- "Microinsurance is the Key to Sustainability and Resilience in Africa and Beyond", Let's Talk Payments, August 2016
- Press Release for the Landscape of Microinsurance in Africa 2015, Microinsurance Network, June 2016
The previously published Africa landscape studies have been used and cited several times. The following are some examples:
- The Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP) in a report titled “Financial Access 2012: Getting To A More Comprehensive Picture”.
- The Access to Insurance Initiative in a report titled “Towards Inclusive Insurance In Nigeria: An Analysis of The Market and Regulations”.
- MicroEnsure in a presentation on “Delivering microinsurance through innovative channels”.
- National Insurance Commission of Ghana and GIZ on “Promoting Microinsurance in Ghana: Microinsurance as a Means of Insurance Sector Development”.
- Many others, including The Africa Microfinance Network, MENA Insurance CEO Club, International Finance Corporation, and Microfinance Africa.